Saturday, April 30, 2011

Iron Man

I am thinking back to before the phenomenon of Iron Man exploded throughout the world.  I knew of the character and that he was in comic books (hell I used to read lots of comic books when I was younger), but I never followed Iron Man.  I am not sure why but I knew NOTHING about him, not even his alter ego's name of Tony Stark.  Then I heard there was going to be a movie made and that Tom Cruise was looking at making it and starring in it.  I thought that was cool, I like Tom Cruise action movies.  But nothing ever came of it.  Then one day, I hear about the Iron Man movie we all now know and love. 
Jon Favreau was set to direct and after seeing how he handled the robot and special effects in Zathura, I could see why he was the man. But then I found out that Robert Downey Jr was to be the star.  Isn't that a risk?  Isn't he always getting done for drugs and crashing cars? (It appears Charlie Sheen has taken that crown now!).  So I went to the cinema with no expectations at all and no knowledge of what the film was about.  Man, I was BLOWN away!  The origin story was brilliant and Robert Downey Jr was just fantastic.  He IS Tony Stark.  I want to put it in writing now that I apologise for ever thinking he couldn't do it.
For those who haven't seen it, yes you two, the story is about Billionaire Weapons Dealer, Tony Stark, who is kidnapped in Afghanistan after a weapon demonstration and he builds a suit of Iron to escape.  He discovers that his company is supplying the bad guys with weapons too, so he develops new suits and goes about stopping 'the bad guys' but then has to deal with the knowledge of who is in league with the Devil.
So now it's a couple of years down the track and I have finally sat down and watched my two disc DVD.  Does the movie still hold up or after seeing the sequel, do I think of the movie differently. 
The answer is a definitive YES.  The movie still holds up.  It is very well written and exceptionally acted, considering the amazing cast that has been put together including Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane, Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts (I really think that name is cheesy but she is an actual character in the books so the name stays.  Love Gwyneth by the way), Terrance Howard as Rhodey (what the hell happened to him for the sequel? I have never been able to find out an answer.  Does anyone out there know?), even Paul Bettany does the voice of the computer system Jarvis!  The special effects are top notch.  after watching the extensive extra features that came with the two disc set, I had no idea there were times when Iron Man (especially Mark 1) was CGI and not a real actor on set!  Oh and it's funny too.
But it does feel different.  I know who Tony Stark is now and how he came to be, so seeing the film for the second time does take some of the magic away, but on the other hand, I was able to concentrate more on what was going on instead of trying to catch up every five minutes.
This is a fun movie full of great action sequences and even greater characters.  I recommend everyone should sit down and watch Iron Man, and stay watching till after the credits for the first link to the Avengers Movie Event. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment