Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Essential Simon & Garfunkel

I have always been a fan of Simon & Garfunkel and finally bought myself a two disc 'Essentials' best of compilation.  This collection has all the big hits that you know and can sing along to but it also has a lot of filler that is quite frankly a bit boring to listen to.  But forget about them, because when their harmonies work and their incredible guitar work plays, the songs are just magical.
We're you aware that they actually did the soundtrack album for The Graduate?  Songs off the album that are included on this collection include 'The Sound of Silence', 'Mrs Robinson' and ' Scarborough Fair/Canticle'.  'Mrs Robinson' has also been used in Wayne's World 2 and Rumour has It.. while 'The Sound of Silence' has been used in Old School, Bobby and Watchmen.
Some of the songs I really like of the album are 'Wednesday Morning, 3 AM', 'Bye Bye Love', 'I Am A Rock', 'Homeward Bound', 'A Hazy Shade Of Winter', 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters', 'Cecilia'(Love this song!), but my favourite song if I had to pick one is 'The Boxer'.
I am sure there are shorter compilations that just have all the hits but if you are a true fan, you would probably love this collection.  A number of the songs were recorded live and sound like they were performed in a studio they are so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment