Friday, April 8, 2011

Celine Dion - All The Way... A Decade of Song

Now, I am about to get all controversial.  I am going to put it in writing for all the world to know.  I love Celine Dion and I don't care who knows or what they think!  This beautiful woman has the BEST voice on the face of the planet.  I challenge anyone to name another performer who has the range and the strength of Celine.
A sort of 'Best of' album, 'All The Way... A Decade of Song' is filled with beautiful romantic songs.  The reason I am featuring it here is that there are four songs on the album that I can identify as being used in film.  (There may be others and I am happy for anyone to correct me on this).  Celine's music has been used in many movies and I would love her to release a movie theme album with all her movie related songs on it.
The first movie song is 'Beauty and the Beast' from the Disney animated film of the same name.  I remember going to the cinemas and immediately buying the album.  It was probably my first encounter with the wonderful Celine.
'Because You loved Me' is from the Robert Redford/Michelle Pfeiffer 1996 tearjerker.  I've seen the movie and I wasn't that blown away by it but the song is nice.
'Then You Look At Me' is the theme song from the brilliant Robin Williams move 'Bicentennial Man' which is much better and deeper than many people give it credit for.  The music of the song is used extensively throughout the movie and you will be humming it when the movie ends.
Lastly, I wanted to talk about the massive hit song from James Cameron's 'Titanic', 'My Heart Will Go On'.  I loved this song when I first heard it and I still love it.  You know what I hate?  People who want to say how bad they think this song, this movie and Celine in general are.  To you, I say you are all cowards who think it is safer to jump on the bandwagon and say something negative about something that was successful.  If so many people hate this song and this movie, how did it become the biggest selling single in 1998 and the biggest selling movie ever (till James Cameron's triumphant return to cinema with 'Avatar')?  I am proud to say how brilliant I believe this song and film both are.
Here's to many more theme songs from Celine Dion.  Bring them on!

1 comment:

  1. Voice of an Angel ... but she's rubbish !

    ReplyDelete