Friday, April 8, 2011

Parenthood

Hi there everyone!  My wife and I have finally sat down this week to watch some more Parenthood (we missed some epsiodes that we had recorded on the PS3 which promptly deleted them along with 100GB of movies and shows - not that I'm bitter about it or anything!).
Anyway, I like watching this show as it is something my wife really enjoys and that I can watch as well.  You see I loved the movie Parenthood, starring Steve Martin, and when I heard Ron Howard was making a television series based on his film, I just had to watch.  My wife is a big fan of Brothers and Sisters (which I can live without watching) and so she thought I wouldn't like to watch Parenthood as they were similar.  While I acknowledge they are similar, they are different enough for a bloke to enjoy it too.  As a family man, I can easily transpose myself into some of the character's predicaments and empathise.
The two 'movie stars' are Craig T. Nelson (Poltergeist) and the beautiful Bonnie Bedelia (Die Hard) as the Patriarch and Matriarch of the Braverman Clan.  While they are the central rock of the family, they have had their fair share of rough times.  There are four children, all with partners/children of their own: Adam wonderfully underplayed by Peter Krause (Six Feet Under), Sarah played by Lauren Graham doing a carbon copy of her character in Gilmore Girls, Julia played by movie star Erika Christensen (Flightplan), and the cool named Crosby played by Dax Shepard from Zathura fame.  They all have their issues to deal with.  While this is fairly sugar-coated, it deals with some tough family issues without having to resort to melodrama crap, and it is this that makes Parenthood so rewarding to watch.
The episode we watched this week was the Thanksgiving episode where the smarmy Shoe company boss played by William Baldwin (who knew Adam wasn't the boss?  I always thought it was his business?  Did I not understand this from the first season or did they change something between the two seasons?) is invited to the family dinner and Adam asks him not to come but he comes anyway.  Makes for an interesting 'friendly' family football match.  This is a fun show and I like to see how the relationships interact with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment