Saturday, April 9, 2011

Five For Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy)

I remember the first time I heard this song. I had no idea what it was called or who it was by but the higher melodic voice and the easy pace made me stop and listen. Then my inner geek kicked in as I started to comprehend the words and realized they were singing about Superman. Not just the hero we all know and love but a more dimensional character that was emotionally affected by the distance his perfection keeps him from other humans and how us normal humans have no comprehension of how hard it is for him to be the perfect hero. It was a tantalizing premise. I even argued with my wife as to the meaning of the song as she didn't think it was about Superman, until we discovered the song's title.
While this song was not in a movie, it was the Superman story we deserved but then we got the wet blanket that was Superman Returns. I was so disappointed in that film. At least we have this wonderful song.

No comments:

Post a Comment