Friday, April 15, 2011

Empire

I mentioned in my post for SciFi now that I read two magazines each month.  The second is the exceptional movie magazine Empire. Empire started in Australia around ten years ago after having many years of the original Empire magazine being imported.  I used to regularly go into the cinema to buy my monthly or bi-monthly issue of Movie magazine which I had been collecting since 1988.  Then in January 2001, I think, I would have to go check, I could not buy Movie anymore, but I could go to the newsagents and buy the first issue of the Australian version of Empire.  It even came with a free ticket to see Cast Away with Tom Hanks.  I took my Mum and we both loved it.  I have since bought every issue of Empire so far.  Of course, with everything else in my life, I am behind in my reading and this review is for issue 120.
Each issue comes with a free double-sided movie poster and this month it is for Ferris Bueller and The Crow.  I never remove these.  If they were single-sided and full size, and weren't a perforated join in the magazine but free floating, I would have them displayed.  I have to say, I am a little fazed by the lack of freebies that come with the magazine but I also have to admit, that over ten years the price has been kept down.  A free DVD would be good to get once in a while!
Stories in this issue included The Best Movie Hookers of all Time! - really?  Did we need this list?
There was also an Ok article on Captain America.  I am looking forward to seeing this movie.  Empire have always done very good interviews and this month was no exception: Emily Blunt and Matt Damon for The Adjustment Bureau and Christian Bale, which was quite illuminating.  There was also a brilliant article on the history of The Millenium Trilogy.
I loved the story on 'Your Highness' which made me look up the Red Band trailer and I have to say, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this movie!!
I'm sorry guys but your Twikileaks bits weren't funny. However, I always enjoy reading My Movie Mastermind, thsi month with our Baz Luhrmann doing OK with a score of 6/10.  I also always look forward to doing the crossword and trying, but most times failing, to unscramble the movie star.  Couldn't get this months, so I suppose I will find out soon who it was and them kick myself!  I also like The Grill (Jason Segel was good this month) and the Classic Shot.
Thanks for the article on I Am number Four.  I didn't realise it was like Twilight, so you have saved me and I won't be going to see it.  Great article on Peter Weir too.
Very impressive article on The Day After and Ronald Reagan.  I remember when it came on TV and how affected we all were as a family and as a society as a whole.  It was an amazing experience in the pre-internet days to share something with the entire country and the world.  It is astounding to know that film was instrumental in saving the planet.
To finsh off, your competitions are getting better and better and lastly, I absolutely love the comments made in the photos.  I reread some issues to give me a laugh = keep this up!
Thanks again for a great read and if you are not buying this magazine = WHY THE HELL NOT!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment