Friday, April 29, 2011

Mr Brooks

I love the fact that I seem to like all the things that others love to hate, Celine Dion, Indy 4, and now Kevin Costner.  I am going to stand up now and say he is one of the most underated actors ever. While I have yet to see every Kevin Costner movie (I think I might have two or three to still see), I have enjoyed every one I have seen.  Up your nose with a rubber hose all you snobs who think otherwise!
Seriously, if you have yet to see Mr Brooks, you are missing some of the best acting from Mr Costner ever.  I finally caught this film and I have to admit, I was not expecting much and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised.
Kevin Costner has a problem.  He kills people, sort of like Dexter, but he doesn't enjoy it.  In fact he hates it, but he is addicted, like an alcoholic.  Driving him on is the voice in his head, or should I say the ghostly figure of William Hurt (another actor I love) who DOES love to kill people.  Kevin Costner shows his acting prowess through playing the every day husband and father who is successful in business but also has this dark side which he loathes.  I loved the fact the story is about a killer who hates to kill.  Very unique.
There is more to thsi story than just him though and without ruining it for you, they cleverly have things happen that are not the norm in this sort of genre.  There is the guy who has photos of him and instead of going to the cops, wants to join him.  Then his daughter returns, dropping out of school, but why?  Another clever layer and another way to show Mr Brooks' vulnerability.
Demi Moore is even in this little sleeper, playing the cop who might be on to him.  I love the way her storyline is handled as well.
Do yourself a favour and see this movie.  You won't be disappointed.  It's going on my list of movies to buy on disc and I give it a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment