Tuesday, May 31, 2011

White Noise

Ah, Mr Micheal Keaton.  Where have you been?  I miss you!  I have generally enjoyed your movies and White Noise is another I can add to my list.  White Noise refers to the static that you get on a television or radio when there is no station.  Apparently there is a very real phenomena called EVP or Electronic Voice Phenomenon where the dead can communicate with the living through electrical items.  This concept is used as the premise for this story.
Michael Keaton's character Jonathan Rivers loses his pregnant wife and is told that she is trying to contact him from the other side through EVP.  Raymond Price has been recording the deceased and helping people connect with their loved ones.  However, there is also evil prescences that also want to get their message out.  When Raymond is found dead amongst the inexplicable destruction of his electrical equipment, Jonathan takes over and starts to help people, all the while trying to reconnect with his dead wife.  And the evil prescence is stalking him.
This is a very good looking film.  Every shot is thought about and is constructed beautifully.  I think the director, Geoffrey Sax has done a great job, but the story isn't sure of what it wants to be and takes a route to try and tie the storyline up in a nice neat bow, realises it has painted itself into a corner and has no way out except the ending they had.  Even the very very end is a little bit cliche for a chance of a sequel, which there is one but apparently it has nothing to do with this movie!  Go Figure.  However the sequel does star Nathan Fillion so it can't be all bad!
I was really enjoying this film but I thought the ending was poorly executed. Having said that, I will be buying my own copy on Blu-Ray when I get the chance! 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment