Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Shania Twain - Greatest Hits

One of my favourite singers, I have found out today, had a song on the soundtrack to one of my favourite movies.
Shania Twain is not only a beautiful woman, but one of the best country and contemporary vocalists of the last ten years.  Captured on one great album are her 'Greatest Hits'.  The song I am referring to is "No One Needs To Know" which features on the soundtrack to 'Twister' which is one of the first movies to bring CGI realism to film.  I have seen this movie heaps of times (I actually loved Helen Hunt in this!) but never picked up on the Shania Twain song.  Just another excuse to watch it again.  Perhaps I should pick it up on Blu-Ray?  Anyway, 'No One Needs to Know' is a fun little song that I didn't think I'd heard before this album.  It's indicative of the fun-filled lyrics of most of Shania's songs.  Her music choices range from these fun-lovin' tracks to love ballads that would fit into any wedding dance, to girl power songs.  Her songs are generally positive in tone which is a welcome change to today's grungy negative output. 
The music is also exceptional with some great guitar, drum and violin to create a modern music feel to some 'country' songs.  All her songs tell a story and some of them are quite fun to listen to: the aforementioned 'No One Needs to Know', 'Up!', 'That Don't Impress Me Much', "Honey, I'm Home', 'I'm Outta Here', 'I Ain't No Quitter' and my favourite 'Who's Bed have Your Boots Been Under?'.
Strangely there are two versions of the same song, (which sound almost exactly the same!?), the slightly naughty 'Party For Two'.  One version with Mark McGrath and the other with Billy Currington.  Maybe they couldn't pick which was the better version?
Anyway, I love Shania Twain.  Shania, if you are out there, where have you been?  Please come back and bring us some more of that fun-lovin', boot-scootin', contemporary-country that we have all heard and loved.  We're waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment