Saturday, May 7, 2011

Source Code

Today is Mother's Day and I offered to take my Mum to the movies, her choice of film.  Without prompting, she chose Thor!  I was very happy.  Then a couple of days later she rang me to say she had seen a preview of Source Code and thought she would like to see that instead.  I was a little disappointed but it is Mother's Day and it is her choice.  It could have been worse.  It could have been some period romance movie.
All I knew about Source Code was that it had Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan and had something to do with a guy being put back in time eight minutes to stop a bomb blast.  So far so DeJa Vu.  I then read an article that the director was Duncan Jones (Moon and David Bowie's son) so I was a little intrigued.  The good thing was, I went in with no real expectations.  And I enjoyed it the more for that.
After watching the film, it had more to do with the television show, Quantum Leap, with lots of talk of quantum mechanics and that our hero is transported 'through time' into the body of another man.  There is even a nod to the show by having Scott Bakula as the voice of Jake's character's Dad.  Sort of nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
This is a very clever story and you do have to keep up with what is going on but I think they may have bitten more off than they could chew and the ending feels a little too much to accept.  Having said that, it seems ludicrous that I can accept the science to send a person's consciousness into a memory of a dead person but I can't grasp them being able to affect the real world.  Are there layers of reality being created?
If you like a movie that challenges you to think a bit about it afterwards, you will love this, but if you are a nit picker (which generally I'm not) then you might just ruin the experience of this film for yourself.
Take my advice, don't head off to India, see this movie instead. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment