Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Neil Diamond - In My Lifetime

There really isn't enough space on the entire internet for me to write how highly I think of Neil Diamond.  He is an astounding song writer and has one of the most distinguishable voices.  I have been fortunate to own a massive three disc set called In My Lifetime that spans Neil Diamond's recording career from his very first song that he wrote ("Hear Them Bells' - one of my very favourite songs!  I love to relisten to this whenever it comes on my iPhone on shuffle!) through his hits of the 60's and 70's, into the 80's and then his more modern music.  The songs span from a lot of sad songs about losing love, to joyous songs about life, to religion, to deeper meanings about the individual.  There are songs about places (he loves New York!) and people, and music itself.  There are simply too many songs on here for me to pick all my favourites.
Now I am sure this is not a definitive list but Neil Diamond wrote songs for movies!  Here are the ones I could find that are featured on this amazing compilation set:

I Am... I said – "Holy Smoke"
Prologue, Lonely Looking Sky, Skybird, Dear Father, Be – "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"
America, Love On The Rocks, Hello Again – "The Jazz Singer"
Love On The Rocks – "Donnie Brasco" 

I can't go without mentioning 'Heartlight' the little song that was inspired by the movie E.T. which I believe Neil Diamond was sued for!  I remember hearing the song and I went out and bought the 45.  I still have it!  (Kids, ask your Mum and Dad!)

In My Lifetime is the best compilation of Neil Diamond's hits ever.  It comes with a great book too!

No comments:

Post a Comment