Thursday, May 12, 2011

ABBA - Gold

Ahh, ABBA, THE GREATEST BAND EVER!  Come on, someone argue with me!  I grew up with ABBA.  They have always and will always be, my favourite band.  My first 33 vinyl was ABBA's Greatest Hits (which I still have, along with Arrival) and I still have all my original 45's (once again kids, ask your parents!).  In primary school, we used to put on concerts and we were ABBA and I was Benny, which is ironic as I now sport a beard not unlike his - go figure! I remember they were coming to Australia and only playing Sydney and the tickets were the most expensive tickets ever for an international band and there were news stories at the time and I think the tickets were around $12 each!  Yes, I'm that old! (Man, I remember petrol being 13 cents a litre! About 1972 if I recall - not the ABBA concert though, that would have been very early eighties I would think - someone out there would have gone to that concert.  Lucky buggers.)
Anyway, I digress.  One of my favourite albums to listen to on my iPhone is ABBA's greatest hits compilation 'GOLD' (as opposed to Spandau Ballet's Greatest Hits compilation 'Gold'!)  I am still constantly blown away by the fact that English is their second language and yet their songs are so well written for English (much better than people who's first language is English), they rhyme words that have so much meaning, and the music has so many layers of melody.  Plus the wonderfully harmonic voices of the two female singers are like listening to Angels. Their songs are joyful to sorrowful, charting their lives of happiness and love and then through divorce and immense sadness.  Some of their songs are even a little titilating! Voulez-Vous anyone!?
There have been many movies that have featured ABBA songs.  Here is a list of movies with ABBA songs sung by ABBA (so no, Mamma Mia! is not included, sorry Pierce) thanks to abba-world.net.  I am only including films with songs from this album. There are a number of Swedish films but also alot of English language films, including a couple of Aussie favourites:

Spetters (1980) - Eagle; Chiquitita
Göta kanal eller Vem drog ur proppen? (1981) - Money, Money, Money
Montenegro (1981) - Why Did It Have To Be Me; I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
Christine (1983) - The Name Of The Game
Just the Way You Are (1984) - Voulez-Vous 
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) - Money, Money, Money (in the film trailer only) 
Änglagård (1992) aka House of Angels - Mamma Mia; Chiquitita; Fernando 
Muriel's Wedding (1994) - Dancing Queen*; Waterloo*; Fernando; Mamma Mia; I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do*
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) - Fernando; Mamma Mia*
Summer of Sam (1999) - Fernando; Dancing Queen*
Dick (1999) - Dancing Queen
Gossip (2000) - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
Tillsammans (2000) aka Together - SOS
U kome je problem? (2002) (V) - Money, Money, Money
Johnny English (2003) - Does Your Mother Know*
Baumeister Solness (2004) (TV) - The Winner Takes It All
Man of the House (2005) - Dancing Queen
KlassenLeben (2005) - Dancing Queen
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (2007) - Dancing Queen 
Get Smart (2008) - Take A Chance On Me
Morgan Pålsson - Världsreporter (2008) - Voulez-Vous

I could never pick a favourite song because I simply love everything they ever did.  If you do not own an ABBA album (why not???!!), then you must get GOLD - it's worth its weight!
And to close, a bit of useless trivia, the band name ABBA is made up of the first initial of each band member's name (Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny and Anifred) but did you know that the name ABBA is another name for God? (which is only one letter away from Gold!)

No comments:

Post a Comment