Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Hunt For Gollum - Original Musical Soundtrack

I am a huge fan of Lord Of The Rings and loved the movies made by Peter Jackson.  I also love the music of the films by Howard Shore.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that there was a fan film made of a prequel to the LOTR films in the Peter Jackson fashion called The Hunt for Gollum.  The quality of this fan film is exceptional!  What they have done with such a limited budget (rumoured to be around 3000 pounds) is just amazing.  As they aren't permitted to make any money from this film, it is freely available to watch on YouTube through their website.  Just click on the link at the bottom of the post to go to their website.
The film isn't the only amazing thing.  The Original Musical Soundtrack is astounding!  I loved the Howard Shore scores and this fan made score is a wonderful companion piece to the original soundtracks.  It captures the essense of Howard Shore's work while creating it's own identity.  It sounds like it came from the LOTR films!  What an achievement.  One of my favourite pieces of music has to be 'Crossing The Misty Mountains'.  Every time I listen to this soundtrack, I rewind this track.  Pure Brilliance!  The other piece I love is 'Aragorn and Gollum'.  I have to congratulate the three composers who collaborated on this project, Adam Langston, Andrew Skrabutenas and Chris Bouchard (also the director and executive producer).
As an added bonus, if you look for the soundtrack on the website, you will find it is also free to download!  No tricks!  And they even have a printable jewelcase art for your own CD copy!
I have to wholeheartedly recommend watching this and downloading this soundtrack.  It is incredible and even more so because it is fan made.  Spectacular!
I've just read that there is also another film called Born of Hope which is almost twice as long as this!  The link is on the website.  I am going to try and watch it asap!  Hope there's a soundtrack to that too!

1 comment: