Friday, May 6, 2011

SciFiNow - Issue 50

Congratulations to SciFiNow for reaching 50 issues! What a milestone! (I've got all 50 issues so far too!)  It was good to see Doctor Who on the cover just like issue one!It might have been a bit misleading saying it was a 'Giant' issue as it is the normal 130 pages!
The article on 50 years of Sci-Fi was a pretty good overview (if a little light on).  I knew very little about Mr J Michael Straczynski but his interview was excellent.  What a talented writer.  The 2011 preview covered a lot of what I want to see this year.
I have to question the quote on the cover related to the show "The Cape" - 'TV is Saved! Why superhero show The Cape will win the day'.  While it is a good article telling me about the show, and I would like to see it, I have missed a couple of episodes here in Australia because the time keeps getting changed, so I will have to catch it on DVD, so it certainly didn't save TV here.
A good article on 3D and The 3rd Annual Mal Awards!  Congratulations to Anna Torv for her win and a brilliant interview.  I didn't realise that she grew up in Benowa on the Gold Coast here in Australia, less than an hour away from where I live!
The best article in the mag was The Complete Guide to Star Trek The Original Series, which I have been rewatching again recently.  Loved it including the interview with Gene Roddenberry from the past.  Loved the Sci-Fi Icons article on Harrison Ford.  I would have liked colour photos though.  I know they are going for a new look but the crushed look to 'age' the images is messy.  I did like the 'Which Star Wars Character Are You?" game at the back - I am Luke Skywalker!
Now, I must comment on something.  Some time ago, I found that we in Australia were not getting the free cover gifts.  The crew at SciFiNow were brilliant and did some investigation work and fixed the problem and not only did they make sure we got the freebies, but they even sent me the copies that I didn't get the freebies on.  So when the 50th issue came, I thought that there would definitely be a freebie, but I was wrong.  I then looked back on my issues and found the last freebie I got was back with issue 32.  Maybe that was the last freebie and there was no freebie with issue 50?  Can anyone tell me?
You see I sent @SciFiNow a tweet but got no reply, so I sent them an email on the 29th April, got an out of office saying they would be back on the 3rd May, but here it is the 7th May and I still haven't heard back from them.  Come on guys, what's the story?  Where are our freebies?  Were there even any freebies?  Can anyone else help me out here?
Back to the mag, I still love it and look forward to the next 50 issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment