Saturday, May 21, 2011

SciFiNow - Issue 51

Firstly, I would like to publicly thank Mr Stephen Webb, Deputy Circulation Manager for Imagine Publishing who produce the excellent SciFiNow magazine.  Last post regarding issue no50, I was concerned that we weren't receiving any free covermounts.  Steve looked into it and found there had been no covermounts since issue 32 when we got the last lot of freebies.  I had found an image on the web of issue 50 with a free Dr Who CD and I sent him that and I practically accused his production office of not knowing about their own magazine and for giving him false information about covermounts.  The image ended up being someone selling a copy of issue 50 with a CD from another magazine.  I would now like to take this opportunity to apologise to the Imagine Publishing Production Office for my comments and once again thank Mr Webb for his exceptional customer service skills in handling my enquiry.
Now lets look at issue 51.  I finished this yesterday and thought I was up to date but I picked up issue 52 this morning!  I will eventually catch up!
The cover story was talking about the final season of Smallville.  I never got into this show but it is a good article.  Perhaps I should revisit it on DVD.  I believe the final episode has gone to air in the US. A great article on Paul.  I really want to see this movie.  A good wrap up of the pre-Avengers movie, uh, movies.  Must get my bum out of my chair and see Thor while it is still playing!  A very good interview with Warren Ellis on the behind the scene of the business side of the comics industry.  And I didn't realise there were so many Phillip K Dick movies based on his work.  I read this morning that Disney are releasing an animated feature in 2013,called King of the Elves, that is based on a Phillip K Dick story!  How cool is that?
Thanks guys for the article on Battle:Los Angeles.  I really enjoyed this film and to learn a bit more about the production was excellent.
In the literary section, there is a great interview with author Neal Asher and the Classic Fiction section this month is dedicated to Stephen King and his novel Carrie.  This was incredibly fascinating and it was amazing to think how close Carrie and thus his career never came to be.  How many times in our lives have we made decisions that have had incredible impacts on our lives?  His book of his memoir, 'On Writing' sounds like a great read.  I have only ever liked The Stand and never really enjoyed Mr King's writing style.  I am more of a Dean Koontz fan.  I hope they do a feature on him!
A really great Complete Guide this month, this time on Buffy The Vampire Slayer.  Once again, I could never get into this show but after reading this article, I am keen to get into the DVD box sets and watch this from the beginning to the end.  I really enjoyed the interview with Scott Bakula.  He seems very personable and laid back with his responses and it is great to see he is still so supportive of Enterprise.  That was one show I saw every episode of and I really enjoyed it.  It was killed off too soon.  The Modern Classic is Space:Above And Beyond.  I watched this show as I was a huge X-Files fan but we didn't get the whole season here in Australia, or if we did they probably changed the time slot to some obscure middle of the night slot.  I also really enjoyed the Tom Baker article too.  I grew up with him as the Doctor.
Lastly, for Which Robocop Character Are You?, I was incredibly boring (it was over in two questions!) but I am apparently Sergeant Reed.  Once again, haven't seen Robocop.  I actually fell asleep in it!!
Another great edition of SciFiNow Magazine.  By it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment