Saturday, May 21, 2011

Queen - Greatest Hits 1

Another Greatest Hits collection to listen to and one of the world's favourite bands, which is surprising considering their music, which I absolutely love, is really a mix of opera, barbershop quartet and rock!  Who would have thought that the band with the denture-challenged front man, Freddie Mercury, would become one of the biggest bands in the history of music!  Every one of their songs are anthems in their own right with some spectacular guitar, drum and harmonies powering out of the speakers. 
Being the big music that they do, makes their songs ripe for use in movie soundtracks and there are a couple of noteable mentions.  In fact nearly 50 movies have used Queen songs.  I will only list the songs performed by Queen as featured on their first Greatest Hits collection.  there are a lot of remix versions and cover versions by other performers, as well as other songs not featured on this album.  Thanks to Queenpedia for this list:

1978 - FM - We Will Rock You
1980 - Flash Gordon - Flash Gordon Soundtrack
1984 - Revenge Of The Nerds - We Are The Champions
1992 - Breaking The Rules - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
1992 - Peter's Friends - You're My Best Friend
1992 - Wayne's World - Bohemian Rhapsody
1993 - National Lapoon's Loaded Weapon 1 - Bohemian Rhapsody
1993 - Son In Law - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
1994 - D2: The Mighty Ducks - We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions
1996 - Mr. Wrong - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
1997 - The Big One - We Will Rock You
1999 - 200 Cigarettes - Another One Bites The Dust
1999 - Any Given Sunday - We Will Rock You
1999 - Mickey Blue Eyes - We Are The Champions
2000 - High Fidelity - We Are The Champions
2000 - The Replacements - We Will Rock You
2003 - Blackball - Don't Stop Me Now
2004 - Shaun Of The Dead - Don't Stop Me Now, You're My Best Friend
2004 - Super Size Me - Fat Bottomed Girls
2005 - Kicking & Screaming - We Are The Champions
2005 - The Pacifier - We Will Rock You
2007 - Blades Of Glory - Flash's Theme
2007 - I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - You're My Best Friend

Who out there doesn't think of Wayne and Garth and their friends banging their heads to 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and don't start doing it themselves?
The entire soundtrack to the film "Flash Gordon" was done by Queen, not just the theme song.  I ordered this through my local record store when I was at high school and bought it on cassette and played it to death!  I can still recite the lines from beginning of the album, "Klytus I'm bored.  What plaything have you to offer me today?  An obscure planet in the SK system.  The inhabitants refer to it as the planet, Earth. (pronounced Earrrrrttthh!)  How peaceful it looks. (Button pushed, destruction ensues). Ha ha ha ha ha.  Most effective your majesty.  And will you destroy this Earth.  Later.  I like to play with things awhile, before annihalation!"  (Cue Flash's Theme!!)  Don't quote me on this, but I think that is pretty close.  I am trying to remember this from over twenty years ago when the cassette bit the dust from being over played!
It's amazing how many great songs Queen have made (I suppose that is why they have three Greatest Hits collections! Must get the other two) and if you don't like Queen, check that you have a pulse.


No comments:

Post a Comment