Monday, October 17, 2011

INXS - The Years 1979-1997

When I was in high school, I started to try out listening to bands that I considered cool but was not what I would normally listen to.  Everyone was listening to INXS and I wanted to be in the 'in crowd' so I listened to them as well.  What surprised me was that I really loved listening to their music.  It was different.  It had some great beats plus a mix of guitar and saxophone and I could identify with the lyrics and sing along.  INXS became one of my all time favourite bands because they were Australian, had been formed by family members and friends and were now famous around the world.  I felt like I was a part of something.
As the years went on, I preferred their earlier 80's music but stuck with them through the death of Michael and their attempts to remain a band by having various guest lead singers.
The double disc CD, The Years 1979-1997 are all their hits from before the time of J.D. Fortune, in chronological order.  There are simply too many songs on this album to list as my favourites.
But as usual, I wouldn't be talking about an album unless there was a film connection and there are two songs from the first disc that were featured in the 1984 movie soundtrack for 'Reckless' starring Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah.  The two songs are 'The One Thing' and 'To Look At You' and helped introduce INXS to a North American audience.
This is one of the best INXS compilations but the actual albums are the way to go.  There are so many songs not on this best of that also deserve a wider audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment