Friday, October 28, 2011

Empire - Issue 126

I almost had a nerdgasm when I saw the cover of issue 126 of Empire Australia!  The Hobbit is coming! The Hobbit is coming!  Woo Hoo!  And it graces the cover with Gandalf in all his grotty finery and an incredible Bilbo-ish Martin Freeman, um, as Bilbo!  I ABSOLUTELY LOVED The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy and am so happy that Peter Jackson has agreed to complete the story with the 'prequel'.  I love Guillermo Del Toro, but no one could have done The Hobbit justice like Mr Jackson and Fran Walsh.
Oh and there was a little note about Empire turning 10.  Congrats Empire, even though they had turned ten months ago!  And I have every copy to prove it!  Even with these items of extreme brilliance, this issue was a mixed bag going from one extreme of excellence to the other of ho-hum, yep let's move on to the good stuff.  I will mostly rave on about the stuff I like!
Love the image from the trailer for Brave, the next Pixar behemoth to hit the world.  This looks incredible, both with the amazingly detailed animation and the story sounds fantastic.  Can't wait to see this.  Great article on Mia Wasikowska and director Cary Fukunaga on Jane Eyre.  Don't they make a lovely couple?
While the crossword itself was achievable, I couldn't unscramble the name! (I know who it is now!).  I was disappointed in Lance Henriksen's effort in the My Movie Mastermind quiz.  Lucky he's a cool dude!  And speaking of cool dudes, great The grill with Simon Pegg - hilarious!  But why cut Nick out of the shot?
I have to disagree with your VERY slight review of Red Dog which you only gave three stars.  It deserved at least four and also deserved a bigger review.  Come on guys.  You are supposed to be supporting Australian film and finally we have a great Aussie flick that Australians are going to the cinema to see!  It's been a while since this has happened.  Where were you guys?
But lets get on to even more serious stuff - The Journey Begins!!  Yeah!  Thank you so much for my first touch of this incredibly anticipated film.  The Hobbit was my very first 'fantasy' novel and what an introduction to the genre.  Can't wait to see this on film.
Interesting article on Tom McCarthy - what a talented man.
Loved your story choices for your ten year 'retrospective', especially Ben Affleck's rise to legitimate bona-fide Legend status. A hint at Jurassic Park IV to come out of extinction?  The incredibly hot photo of Anne Hathaway, my how she's changed over the years!  Oh and thanks for explaining Mulholland Drive - finally!  I get it now....I think.  And brilliant choice of a story on the Man Who Would Have Been King, Heath Ledger.  The world was robbed of an incredible talent that still had so much to show us.
Great article on Roger Corman too.  Never knew much about him but what a savvy business man!
Once again, I have to disagree with your review of Sucker Punch - does no one get this film?  Everyone is just too scared to jump off the bandwagon.  Rewatch it with an open mind.  A brilliant movie.
Another double-sided poster.  I will KEEP saying it until something changes.  Give us a single-sided unattached full size poster!
And Masterpiece #62 - Sunset Blvd.  Yep, a brilliant film that sticks it to the studios.  Love seeing this film.  Oh and thanks for explaining some of the technobabble - this is invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment