Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Empire - Issue 125

It's been a long while since I wrote a post on Empire because I was reading some novels and then my computer died and I got a bit behind in my writing of my posts, so I am slowly catching up.
Issue 125, which is dated August but came out in July, excited the hell out of me because it had Daniel Craig on the cover from Cowboys and Aliens (which I am ashamed to say, I didn't get the chance to go and see!  I will buy the Blu-Ray, I promise!)  Once again, the issue came with a free copy of Empire, which I already own.  Come on guys, cut this out.
This month there was a lovely tribute to the late Bill Hunter who sadly passed away in May of this year.  I am sorry to say, but I didn't work out the jumbled entertainer's name in this issue's crossword.
Thank you for the fantastic article on the above mentioned Cowboys and Aliens.  I wish I had been able to catch this at the cinemas.
Mel Gibson's movie, The Beaver, sort of gets an article.  Well, it's more about Mel, and I have to say I am really proud of Jodie Foster for standing by Mel considering the past couple of years.  I have always been a fan and hope he gets to make many more great movies.
Being a fledgling film maker in my younger years, I was fascinated by the "My First Movie" story talking to Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams, Zack Snyder, Nick Park, Chris Columbus, Edgar Wright and Joe Dante.  If only I had stuck with my passion, what could I have achieved?  At least we have these guys.
An absolutely brilliant interview with Rob Lowe on his autobiography.  Gee this was enlightening to read.  I am definitely going to track down this book.  Loved him in The West Wing and it was great to hear how he lived down the road from the Sheen's and grew up with them and that Martin took him under his wing.
Andy Serkis is astounding in his ability to bring CGI characters to life on screen and deserves an Oscar for his incredible ability.  The story on his work on Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was a winner.
I knew nothing about the movie Hanna until I read this article and of course I missed it at the cinemas too (and I call myself a film lover!).  Can't wait to get this on Blu-Ray.
I knew a lot about Apocalypse Now as it was required viewing for my University degree so I knew alot that was in the article by Ian Freer, but there were still a number of gold nuggets hidden to be enjoyed.  It was great to read such an intelligently written article by a fan who had access to Francis Coppola.  I really enjoyed the writing style of this article.
And yes, more free posters.  I will harp on about this until this is changed.  Please, if you want to give us a free poster, make it single sided and not a part of the book that has to be torn out.  Keep it separate.
I have disagree with a line in the Apocalypse Now Blu-Ray review.  Kim Newman says "If there's a more important Blu-ray release this year, we'll be surprised".  Boy, how did you feel when Star Wars came out on Blu-ray??  I have to say, I think the Saga was more important than the Apocalypse.
Anyway, yet another BRILLIANT issue of Empire.  If you are not a subscriber or don't buy this every month, you must be mad!

No comments:

Post a Comment