Friday, June 17, 2011

Mulan - Original Soundtrack

Jerry Goldsmith's (best known for his work on the many incarnations of Star Trek) superb soundtrack for Disney's animated version of the story of a girl who disguises herself as a boy to go to war in the place of her father, Mulan, is one of my favourite ever soundtracks.  I am a huge fan of all Disney animated films and especially their soundtracks.
Firstly, I must say, my favourite piece on this album is without a doubt, Suite from Mulan.  It is a mix of all the music from the film, but I just love the incredibly beautiful music from about the five minute mark.  The last two minutes are amazing to listen to.  Just close your eyes and feel this piece flow over you.  I get goosebumps every time I listen to it.  I always replay these last two minutes, generally more than once!
Now out of the songs on the album, even though I am not a fan of boy bands, I really love the 98 degrees duet with Mr Stevie Wonder for the track True To Your Heart.  The other song I really enjoy off this album is Mr Donny Osmond (yes, Marie's brother!) singing I'll Make a Man Out Of You.
Of course Reflection gets a couple of versions, the film version and Pop Princess herself, Miss Christina Aguilera who does a cracking version.
The rest of the music is a wonderful blend of Chinese music and Western Orchestral sound.  There is some really powerful percussion that gets you right into the music.
Love this movie and love this soundtrack.  If you have not had the pleasure of seeing the film and listening to the music, do it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment