Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hellboy 2 - The Golden Army

I really enjoyed the original 'Hellboy' so when the sequel came out, I rushed to the cinema to see it.  While I enjoyed it, it didn't seem as good as the first movie.  After watching the DVD, I think I have worked out what the problem is.  The story is about the Elf Prince wanting to reanimate The legendary Golden Army and defeat man but Hellboy (Ron Pearlman) and the rest of the BPRD gang (Liz [Selma Blair] and Abe [Doug Jones - who plays multiple characters in this film]) get involved.  The effects are amazing and the sets are incredible, especially the wonderful Troll Market.  The problem is that this is a story that Hellboy is in, not a story about Hellboy.  In fact, the only time this was really interesting was when The Angel of Death is asked by Liz to spare Hellboy's life and there is a hint of the difficult future for Red and Liz and their soon to be born child.  So, I am excited for a third outing, but I can't see it happening any time soon.  The director, Guillermo Del Toro is incredibly busy and is having difficulty trying to fit everything in that he wants to do now.  At the end of the second disc, there is an animated epilogue that hints at returning to the story from the first movie.  Let's hope a third movie gets made.
The 2-disc set, came in a gift box that also came with a very small book of a few pages reproduced from Guillermo's notepad.  While this is interesting, it is all in Spanish, so in essence, useless.  There is also a plastic model of one of The Golden Army which is very detailed.  Quite a nice set.
Don't get me wrong, this was a good movie.  I was just hoping for more. 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment