Sunday, June 12, 2011

American Psycho

I am probably going to raise the ire of many a fan of this film, but I have just finished sitting through American Psycho and I have to say, I hated it.  It was simply crap and I would not recommend this film to anyone.
Now why would I go and say this about a film that so many people revere?  Perhaps it was a movie of it's time?  Well it was made in 2000 but is set in the eighties (my favourite decade) and yes, I get that it is supposed to be an incredibly 'black' comedy.  It is so 'black' if it was night time, you wouldn't be able to see your own hand in front of your face!
Let me say though, Christian Bale is an incredible actor.  He took over the persona of Patrick Bateman, getting his body tuned to a perfect machine, then being able to switch between cool, calm and collected professional in 'Murders and Exterminations', I mean, 'Mergers and Acquisitions' to being a stark raving lunatic with a chainsaw.
The story, based on a novel, is an attack against everything in the eighties, the hedonistic, shallow lifestyle of the rich and not so famous, where the different shades of white can make the difference in who has the better business card and if you don't have a reservation, you are nobody.  It is really about the facade that people project, especially the people who so desperately want to be seen as successful, even though they sit in their little office all day doing nothing and then eating out every night, then shagging their friend's girlfriend.  But of course there is Patrick's double facade.  Professional, 'sweet' guy one moment, homicidal maniac the next.  But there is the second level and if you haven't seen this (and really don't bother but this is a little spoiler), there is the facade of the world where he has killed all these people and the possible real world.  Did he really kill Paul?  If so, how can his lawyer have lunch with him twice in London just 10 days prior?  What was with the painted apartment?  Was it ever Paul's?  Did those girls really die?  Also people kept confusing him for someone else.  He really did have facades on facades.  But the ending just sucked.  I really hate movies that leave it up to the audience to interpret in their own way.
However, I did find the way Patrick loved his music to be quite humorous.  I love all that eighties music and scarily agreed with him about the interpretation of most of the music, yes, even Whitney Houston.  Does that make me a little mad?  It's not quite worth a Fore! so I am going to give this film a 3/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment