Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - Original Soundtrack

No matter how much I rave about the brilliant soundtrack to the fan-made film, The Hunt For Gollum, the incredible brilliance of Howard Shore to create a sound for Tolkien's incredible tome and Peter Jackson's visual feast is nothing short of astounding!
As soon as you hear anything of the soundtrack to any of the movies, it automatically evokes memories of the films.  As each film has a different tone, so too does the music.
The Fellowship Of The Ring has a more 'fairy tale' quality to the music: very light and magical in some places.  One of my favourite pieces of music is 'Concerning Hobbits, and my iPod has a habit of picking this particular piece on a regular basis when it is on shuffle, which is fine with me!
But that's not all!  This soundtrack is very epic in it's telling of the story as well.  It sounds as expansive as the landscape of Middle-Earth. There are some tense as well as action-packed pieces, from Flight To The Ford, to A Journey In The Dark.  But there are also some poignant, sad pieces, such as The Breaking Of The Fellowship as our heroes go their separate ways and must wait to reunite, just as we must wait to hear the next chapter in the soundtrack trilogy.
I wanted to make particular mention of the use of Enya in the soundtrack on The Council of Elrond and the final song May It Be.  I was so excited to know that Enya was on the soundtrack (in fact I bought this CD before I had even seen the film!) and I was not disappointed.  Her crystal clear voice, sounding like the chiming of a bell, has the perfect haunting, Celtic touch to represent a fantasy realm.  My only regret is that she was not chosen to sing on all three soundtracks.
This is a beautiful soundtrack that all cinefiles should own.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment