Sunday, June 19, 2011

L. A. Confidential

L. A. Confidential is a 'noir-ish' style film (though it is in colour) set in 1950's Hollywood about police corruption.  For a Hollywood film, it showcases some brilliant Australian talent, from it's two leads (not withstanding Mr Kevin Spacey) in Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce to The Mentalist himself, Simon Baker (billed as Simon Baker Denny).
The story takes a while to come together (I had trouble following what was happening at first) but I stuck with it and all the threads come together beautifully if rather violently.  When Russell Crowe's partner is murdered in a Night Owl Cafe along with all the patrons, he vows to find the killers.  He already has anger management issues, so when it is revealed that the police have identified some coloured kids with shotguns, he wants retribution.  However, Guy Pearce's character is the voice of reason.  He does everything by the book and soon discovers that perhaps, the kids are innocent and there is something much more sinister going on.  It is all linked to a movie star look-a-like hooker, played by Kim Basinger.
The story is based on a novel by James Ellroy and is directed by Curtis Hanson (8 Mile!).  Other stars include, James Cromwell, Danny DeVito, David Strathairn and Ron Rifkin.
I have to say, I really enjoyed this movie.  The inevitable shoot out at the end is nail-biting stuff but I have to also say, I really loved the very end of the movie and was so glad they didn't go the usual way a tough crime film would go.  I can't believe it has taken me this long to see this movie.  If you haven't seen this yet, sit down and watch it.  But don't tell anyone I sent you, it's off the record, on the QT, and very Hush-Hush! 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment