Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Empire - Issue 124

I can't believe I have finished another issue of Empire within the month it was issued! Especially since it is a Giant 164 page collector's edition! I even read a novel this month!
I must say thank you to the creators of Empire Magazine Australia.  This would have to be one of the best issues EVER!
Firstly, thanks for the exclusive image of David Tennant as Peter Vincent!  I just can't recognise him!  I loved the original Fright Night movies (when do they get the Blu-Ray special edition treatment?), especially Roddy McDowall.  Looking forward to how Dr Who shapes up against Colin Farrell.  The crossword was especially tough this month and I have not been able to work out the scrambled celebrity's name.  Anyone out there who can help me?  My Movie Mastermind was fun with the two Zucker Brothers and I just LOVED The Grill with Cybill Shepherd.  She is STILL incredibly sexy!  Bruce, please put away your differences and join her to make a Moonlighting movie before some Hollywood bozo decides it's ripe for a reimagining with some teenage wannabees in it.  Please be David Addison for us one more time!
The classic shot was timely as I only just watch L.A. confidential for the first time this month.  The Top 10 Crazy Schemes was 'crazy'.
And then there is Harry Potter.  Can I say, this was the most amazing way of covering the conclusion of a decade-long saga.  While it was light on in words, the words were special.  Quotes from all the major players as the movies went along.  But the images were just incredible.  I loved the photo shoot with all the stars.  I know that after I have seen this last film, I am going to have a sense of loss, similar to how I felt after finishing the last book.  At least we will have the Hobbit movies to fill the void!
Great article on Super 8 and lovely photo of Marion Cotillard.  Woo Hoo!
Thank you for revisiting one of my favourite comedies from the eighties, The Three Amigos!  I am a huge Steve Martin fan (he does very funny tweets, check him out) but I was pleasantly surprised at how much these three guys are friends.  It was heartening to see this in the otherwise shallow world of Hollywood.  Very funny photo shoot for this article too.  It must have been an absolute blast for Nick De Semlyen to do this interview.
Not big into fighting movies (though I did like Rocky and The Fighter, go figure) so I am not sure how I feel about Real Steel and Warrior.  I was blown away by the Michael Jackson 'Moonwalker' article.  This was a 'movie' that was an unusual thing that was special.  It had all the special effects that I loved, with a hint of the stories I liked, fantastic MJ music and that incredible Smooth Criminal video.  Finally, (and I am not too sure if I am happy about this or not) the secret of that famous lean in the video is revealed.  I always wondered how they did that! I had no idea he was such an incredible control freak.  I have seen a three minute version of Ghosts but I really would love the see the full version.  They mention it has never had a DVD release.  Why would they not release it on the Visions DVD they recently put out which was supposed to have all of Michael's videos remastered?  And why no Blu-Ray version?
A couple of movie posters again. And yes, I am gonna keep saying it, make them bigger, separate from the mag and single sided, PLEASE!
And it is about time that The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy is recognised for being the Masterpiece it is. A very well written article and a great way to round off the best Empire ever.  If you haven't yet bought it, get down to your local newsagent and grab a copy before the next issue comes out next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment