Friday, September 16, 2011

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

My earliest memory of listening to this album was at a high school party after finishing grade 12.  I have never been one to like anything that I felt was not mainstream.  But I was mesmerised by this alternative music.  Everyone at the party was singing along to the songs and the album got replayed a few times during the night.  Of course I had to buy it and I still own my original 33 vinyl record.  Now it is almost thirty years later and I found a copy of the album on CD and have put it on my iPhone's iPod.  This is the recording of a live concert that was made into a film directed by none other than Jonathan Demme, the director of Silence Of The Lambs!  The most memorable part of the 'movie' is David Byrne coming out in the incredibly oversized suit.  Visually it was striking and his movements to Girlfriend Is Better make the suit move in strange ways.  This is my favourite song on the album but really, every song on this album is simply brilliant though I am especially fond of the old staples, Psycho Killer, Burning Down The House and Take Me To The River.  If you only own one Talking Heads album, it must be Stop Making Sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment