Monday, September 19, 2011

Robbie Williams - Swing When You're Winning

I am a huge fan of Robbie Williams and when I found he had created a swing album, I was sceptical, but I have to say how incredibly impressed I am by this album.  There is some old favourites and some newer songs with a modern swing.
I will first mention the duet he does with Australian actress Nicole Kidman, "Somethin' Stupid" which I think is a great remake.  She has a slight voice which is perfect to marry with Robbie Williams.  The first song on the album is "I Will Talk And Hollywood Will Listen", which I believe is a song about Nicole's ex-husband, Tom Cruise.
Some of the old favourites include "Mack The Knife", "Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me", "Mr. Bojangles", "Ain't That a Kick In The Head" and "Have You Met Miss Jones?"
Like Celine Dion, there is a great duet with the legend Frank Sinatra, "It Was A Very Good Year"; a very funny song with the comedian Jon Lovitz where they do "Well, Did You Evah"; and a funny version of "Things" with Jane Horrocks - love the banter at the end.
The movie link is that he did a cover of "Beyond The Sea" which played over the end credits to the Disney Pixar Movie, 'Finding Nemo'.  What a great way to introduce my kids to Robbie Williams and some classic songs all in one hit!
Just a little tip.  Make sure you stay listening after the last song or fast forward (don't jump tracks) as there is a little behind the scenes bonus for Robbie Fans. 
Love this album, one of my favourites!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment