Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Return Of The Jedi - Original Soundtrack

How do you follow up the brilliance that is the soundtrack to The Empire Strikes Back?  Put simply, you can't.  Don't get me wrong, the soundtrack to Return of the Jedi is very good, but it's just not as good as Empire.  It has a number of moments of absolute brilliance but the rest is a little less great, a bit like the movie itself.
I have to say, the first moment of pure brilliance is Into The Trap.  I just love this piece of music!  The 'chorus' if I can call it that, builds in intensity and each time it comes up, it builds even more.  Simply an exceptional music composition.  Rebel Briefing gives us a taste of The Empire Strikes Back.  But that's it.
There are no more iconic pieces that stand out as being memorable.  Even the Emperor's signature piece is not worthy of his nastiness. Much of this is a little, dare I say, 'cheesy', especially the Ewok music.  I must admit that this is a different film from Empire and so the music must reflect that, but not at the cost of quality music.  I feel some of this feels very mediocre.
Not as memorable or enjoyable as The Empire Strikes Back.  Such a shame really.

No comments:

Post a Comment