Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

After seven books and ten years of movies, the massively magic saga has come to an end with this action-packed finale.  The story is all about Harry, Hermione and Ron hunting for the last Horcruxes (items that store Voldemort's split life force) in a race before Voldemort and his army destroy Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  Before this film is finished, much-loved characters will die and the beloved Hogwarts will be reduced to rubble.
I have been so excited to see this film and I have been worried that I would feel the same sense of loss I felt when I finished the last book, but I am sorry to say that I didn't.  In fact, while this is a great film, I was expecting something extraordinary.  Firstly, lets talk about the positives.
This would have to be one of the best finale's made.  All of your favourite characters are back (even if they are only in the film for a moment or even if they are dead!) and we revisit some of the sets from previous films, like the Chamber of Secrets.  We finally get to see the whole saga come to a satisfying end.
However, it is not all brilliant.  None of the major characters who die are given much screen time.  You never get to see the good guys getting killed.  Even Snape is attacked by the snake on the other side of a wall.  I was really looking forward to this scene as it is one of my favourites from the book but it was denied.  Not the fact that I didn't get to see him die, it just seemed less powerful because it is well described in the book.  Even the big battle was not what I was expecting.  While it is indeed huge, from the behind the scenes we have seen so far and all I have read, this was the be the majority of the movie, but it didn't feel this way.  I blame the editing of this film and ultimately I blame David Yates.  He may be exceedingly good at directing the actors and setting up some good set pieces, his editing seems a little to be desired.  It felt like it was rushed for the majority of it and then for the other parts, the narrative felt like it came to a screeching halt as we visited Harry and Dumbledore in the afterlife.  There also seemed to be bits missing so explaining some parts were just touched on.  I am hoping a Special Edition Extended Version is released soon.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the film but I will wait now till I can buy it and I will watch all eight movies back to back to see if the story flows.  If the pacing and the cuts had been managed better, this could have been exceptional.  The acting is top notch and the sets are just beautiful. Goodbye Harry Potter.  I look forward to catching up again one day. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment