Tuesday, July 5, 2011

SciFiNow - Issue 53

Another fantastic issue of SciFiNow!  The cover story on Terra Nova was a taste and I am so looking forward to seeing this show.  It is filmed here in Queensland and I have just heard that my eldest daughter's primary school teacher has just got a part in the show!  (I know that's stretching the connection a bit [a bit?!])  Unfortunately nothing much else seems to grab me from the season preview except perhaps Falling Skies which is only available on PayTV, so will have to wait to see this on DVD/Blu-Ray.
Great article on Thor.  Wished I'd been able to see this while it was at the cinemas.  I will go and buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out. The summer of superheroes was great too!  I wasn't sure about the Green lantern movie but after the complete guide I think it might actually be quite good.  I saw X-Men: First Class and loved it and I am looking forward to Captain America.
A really good article on Source Code, another movie I enjoyed. 
Another great show that is only going to be on PayTV is Game of Thrones and there is an excellent article in this month's edition.
However, I find myself having to criticise your critic, Alasdair Morton.  Is he the only one seeing new movies?  He seems a little 'one-eyed'.  Does he not like science fiction?  To only give Source Code 3 stars and Battle: Los Angeles only 2 stars!?  Are you kidding?  Were we watching the same movies?  But then to give Attack the Block 4 stars.  So a movie that reflects the reality of war that allied soldiers are having to fight in Afghanistan is not as good as something that glorifies violent youth that like to mug innocent ladies?  I don't care how funny it is, Attack the Block is not twice as good as Battle.  Perhaps more than one person to see and review new movies may give a more balanced rating.  If I had read his reviews first, I may have missed seeing these movies, and that would have been a shame.
I was a little disappointed in the Sandman article.  I would have liked to have known more about the character and storyline.  There is a quote in the article that captures the article perfectly, "it manages to be accurate while telling you virtually nothing at all", however, it did make me intrigued to find out more, so I suppose it succeeded!
The Green Lantern complete guide was spectacular!  I had no idea about the back story of the Green Lantern Corp and I have to say thank you very much Samuel for a brilliant article.  I really am excited to see the movie now to see if it lives up to the history.
Good choice in Modern Classic, Pleasantville.  I love this movie.
Superman 2's Flashback was interesting.  It seems that Richard Lester was not really interested in directing the movie and it seems Richard Donner got screwed over completely.  Haven't seen the director's cut yet, but really want to now.
Oh and I ended up being Dutch Schaeffer in the Arnie Personality Test. (Yeah, in my dreams!)

No comments:

Post a Comment