Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Hangover

I think it is really hard to find a really good comedy these days.  Maybe it is age, but I think most of the funny stuff was made about twenty to thirty years ago.  Now we mostly just get crap that riffs off whole genres of film and not very well either.  If you looked at my movie collection, there are not a lot of comedies, and I own over 900 titles.  So when The Hangover was released, I was not in any hurry to go and see it.  But the buzz continued to grow.  Word of Mouth was this was a very funny movie and not to be missed.  They had even released a sequel!  Finally, I saw it was going to be on television so I recorded it and my wife and I sat down to watch it.
The story is about three friends and a future brother-in-law, going to Las Vegas for a bachelor party.  They all stand on the roof of their hotel, looking out over the city and have a drink.  The film then goes to the next morning and now there are only three of them.  The groom is missing, the hotel room is destroyed, there is a baby in a closet and a tiger in the bathroom!  None of the three have any memory of what happened the night before.  So they embark on a search for their friend by retracing their steps of where they were and finding out the bizarre things they got up to.
I must admit, this is a very funny movie and I loved the 'Momento' style concept of going back to find out what they did.  The characters are hilarious especially Ken Jeong's Leslie Chow, the effeminate Asian gangster.  I need to see the sequel now.  I give this movie 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment