Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Last Battle

I never read The Chronicles Of Narnia as I was growing up and came into Tolkien late in my teens, so fantasy literature was never high on my list. After seeing the movie version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I decided I would read the entire series. My daughter had been given a box set and I offered to wait to read each book after she had read them. Sadly, she lost interest halfway through A Horse and His Boy, so I never got any further. Last year, my daughter and I went to see The Voyage of the Dawn Treader which I was very impressed with. I decided I would get back into The Chronicles of Narnia.
This morning I finished the series with the final page of The Last Battle. I have enjoyed reading this series, despite the Christian analogies and despite them being written for a younger audience. They have been filled with magic, wonder and adventure but The Last Battle is a completely different style of book and I am unsure of how children would perceive it or even enjoy it. It is a very dark book that I found sad and devoid of any hope for our heroes until the very end. It is the most religious of the books and the concepts are the most adult. My biggest disappointment is that Susan was not included because she is too worldly. Perhaps one day, a sequel could be commissioned where Susan is saved. I can't believe Aslan would refuse redemption to a previous Queen of Narnia. If she can't be saved, what hope do any of us have?
Anyway, I hope they make movie versions of the last two books. I will be very interested in how they handle them.

No comments:

Post a Comment