Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dragonball Evolution - TV

There are movies I will ensure I see at the cinema, then there are those that while I missed them at the cinemas, I am willing to buy them on Blu-Ray of DVD without seeing them first.  Then there are those that I will record on TV and watch to see if I want to add them to my movie collection.  Dragon Evolution falls into the last category.
I have never seen the original cartoon or Japanese Manga that this story is based on and so I do come to this film with an unbiased eye.
The story is really "out there".  An evil alien (?) was under lock and key but escapes and is looking to collect seven 'Dragonballs' that have been spread across the globe.  Apparently when brought together he can summon someone or something to bring destruction ot the world (never really understood the take over and destroy the world 'thing', but hey, it's just a story).  As luck would have it, our hero, Goku, has been given one of the Dragonballs to protect AND he is a martial arts master.(of course)  The evil alien, Piccolo (a small wind instrument?) kills Goku's grandfather and destroys their house.  Before the grandfather dies, he tells Goku to seek out the martial arts master, Roshi.  Effectively they get together with some other people, gain some more balls (careful!) and then lose all their balls (Hee Hee) and then they all come together to fight it out.  There is a clever little twist in the story which elevated it in my eyes and not everyone survives (or do they?)
Goku is played by War Of the World's, Justin Chatwin, who has a funny little nod to the cartoon when trying to style his hair; Piccolo is Spike from Buffy, or James Marsters if you prefer and Master Roshi is played by the wonderful Cow Yun-Fat.  Everyone plays it not too seriously and they look like they are having quite a bit of fun.
The very ending (after the credits - love post credit scenes) leaves this story open for a sequel but due to very poor box office, there will not be a sequel made.
As I said, I came to this film without much knowledge of the original story and so I actually don't mind it.  It's directed by X-Files alumni, James Wong, who I think is an imaginative storyteller.  While this movie is not highly recommended, it was not the train wreck that everyone thought it was.  I am going to be generous and give it 6/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment