Sunday, December 30, 2012

Coraline - TV

I feel like a right bastard.  This movie won heaps of awards and is generally considered to be brilliant, but for some reason, I really didn't enjoy it.  So why might that be?
The movie is based on a novel by Neil Gaiman and is a stop motion animated film directed by 'A Nightmare Before Christmas' Henry Selick and it shares a similar feel.  Both movies are quite dark and while aimed at children, I feel the story is more suited to an older audience.  I even tested it on my young daughter who also didn't enjoy the movie.
The story centres around the titular Coraline who moves into a run-down house with her parents who are too busy renovating to pay her much attention so when she discovers the 'Other World' and parallel parents who are very doting, she of course wishes she could stay.  As the poster says, be careful what you wish for.  You see the Other Mother is really a very nasty witch who wants Coraline's eyes and I assume she kills the child to get them as Coraline discovers the ghosts of three other victims!  Great kids story!  When she refuses, she then has to rescue her real parents from the witch. There are a few other characters around the house who also have parallel versions of themselves in the alternate reality.
The voice actors include:
  • Dakota Fanning as Coraline;
  • Teri Hatcher as the Mums;
  • Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French as Miss Spink and Miss Forcible;
  • Ian McShane as Mr Bobinsky; and
  • Keith David as the Cat.
 This movie took a huge amount of effort and time to create and you can see the work up on the screen. 
I recorded this when it was played on TV and I am not sure if that contributed to how I feel about the film but I just didn't enjoy the story or the way the characters looked.  They were just 'freaky' for want of a better word. 
I know that there are tens of thousands of people who do love this movie and I don't wish to insult you or upset you. For myself, I give it 5/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment